Friday, January 2, 2015

Quick Audiobook Reviews

I've listened to several audiobooks over the last month, but haven't found the time to write up full review posts on each one. So instead, I'm combining several into one post! Here are a few quick reviews:


Mere Christianity 
by C.S. Lewis


I haven't read much of C.S. Lewis' writing and what I have read, I didn't have much patience for. I'm not sure why. But I thought I'd give it another shot in audiobook form. Apparently listening to Mere Christianity is a good idea, as it was adapted from a radio broadcast. It was designed to be conversational. I quite enjoyed listening to this book, though I feel like I know need to go back and give it a closer reading to wrap my brain around the deeper points. I enjoyed hearing Lewis' perspective on Christianity. This is a wonderful book for all interested in Christianity or religious philosophy.

Before Green Gables
by Budge Wilson


I love Anne of Green Gables. It is a comfort book for me that I always love re-reading when nothing else appeals to me. So I decided to give this "prequel" a try. This book is not written by L.M. Montgomery, but attempts to mimic the style of the original books. The book tells the story of Anne's parents' marriage, Anne's birth, her parents' deaths, and the aftermath. It concludes with Anne arriving in Bright River -- just where Anne of Green Gables begins. The book itself was okay -- nothing spectacular. A prequel feels somewhat unnecessary given that Anne tells Marilla her history upon arriving at Green Gables. I found the audiobook reading to be slightly irritating. The female narrator managed to make all the male characters sounds like imbeciles in her attempt to do a male voice. Overall, I didn't really care for this book, though I think my opinion would've been slightly better if I had read it instead of listening.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


Being a fan of the Sherlock TV series, I was interested in reading some of the original stories for comparison's sake. This audiobook did not disappoint. In fact, listening to this book frequently made me wonder at how perfectly cast the TV series was. And it made me hungry for more Sherlock! This book does not include all the Sherlock stories, but is a selection of them. I am looking forward to reading some of the others in the future.


Moll Flanders
by Daniel Defoe

Here is another classic I had never read. I should've been forewarned by that addition to the title: "The Scandalous Life and Amorous Adventures." Moll Flanders really did have a scandalous life full of amorous adventures. This book was interesting in the view it gives the reader of English society in the early 1700's -- the seedy underbelly that you only catch glimpses of in Victorian literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment