Friday, January 16, 2015

Audiobook Review: Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton


I've read and enjoyed another of Edith Wharton's books, The House of Mirth, so when I was searching for a new audiobook to listen to at work, I happened upon this one. I was surprised at how short it is, and I listened to the entire audiobook during one 4-hour shift.

Ethan Frome is the story of a man in a terrible situation. We first meet Ethan as an old, seemingly anti-social man, then we're told the story of his past. Ethan was married to a sickly woman who was always inventing new ailments for herself. She spent all her time and her husband's money on doctors and medicines. Her young cousin, Mattie Silver, comes to live with the Fromes to help care for Zeena. Her youth, beauty, and liveliness entice Ethan to fall in love with her -- eventually leading to disastrous results.

This was a wonderfully woven tale of love and loss. The audiobook, narrated by C.M. Hebert, was well done. I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment