Monday, December 15, 2014

Our Favorite Christmas Picture Books

On the last day of November, I posted a list of our "Picture Book Christmas Countdown" books. This is a tradition that I love doing each year with my kids. In this post, I wanted to provide a little more detail on our favorites. If you're looking to add to your Christmas book collection or just looking for something good to read with your kids before the big day, these are my recommendations:

Santa Claus by Rod Green
If your kids are like mine, they will come up with a lot of questions about Santa Claus and how he does what he does. This book is an excellent resource for answering those questions. The book includes sections about the North Pole, Santa's house, elves, reindeer, the workshop, Santa's suit, the sleigh, and details how Santa can magically travel the world all in one night and how he can deliver presents without being seen. I especially love that this book gives an explanation of how Santa gets into houses without chimneys -- which is something my son was worried about because we don't have a chimney. I would say this book is best for ages 5+ just because of the amount of detail included... younger kids might not understand it.

Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki


I think this book is another that is great for kids with questions about how Santa fits in with the story of Jesus' birth. In this book, Santa tells the Nativity story and explains that Jesus is the reason for the gifts we give at Christmas. An excellent book!

Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini


This book made it onto our "favorites" list because it is hilarious. Palatini has written several Moose books, but I think this one is my favorite out of them. It is a fun way to show kids all the preparations that go into Christmas and that it's okay if everything doesn't turn out "perfectly perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment