Friday, December 26, 2014

Lillian on Life by Alison Jean Lester

As mentioned in an earlier post, I received this eGalley from Edelweiss.


Lillian on Life is a work of fiction, written like a memoir, in first-person. This book is a series of memories, told by Lillian, mostly about her romantic escapades throughout her life. None of these relationships last and I felt that all of them seem like pretty superficial relationships.

I didn't particularly care for this book. While it is well-written and has some insightful moments, I just could not bring myself to like it. I don't think that real people in real life actually live like Lillian does... and if they do, I find that really depressing. This woman defines herself based on all of these fleeting and unsuccessful relationships. She prides herself on her independence and her resilience, which I felt was really just a lack of human connection and a lack of conscience. I basically felt that Lillian had no redeeming qualities to make a reader sympathize with her.

As I said, I felt that this novel is insightful at a times. I especially liked this quote:
"When we're young, we're unfit judges whether our parents know what they're talking about. Sometimes we want them to be right, sometimes we want them to be dead wrong, but we can't tell which they are actually being."
So, overall, I would not recommend this book. I think that the author, Alison Jean Lester, has great potential as a writer and I would be willing to read her next book if/when it is written.

No comments:

Post a Comment