Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

As stated in a previous post, I received this book as a birthday gift from my hubby. He sure understands me well.


My husband and I are big fans of Jim Gaffigan's stand-up comedy. If you've never seen it, you should. He's hilarious. Of course, we might just identify with his jokes more because we're also exhausted parents who love food and don't necessarily love to exercise. So when Jim Gaffigan wrote a book entitled Dad is Fat, of course I had to get it for my husband for Father's Day last year. And it was only fitting that he get me Gaffigan's next book, Food: A Love Story.

This book surprised me in one respect: it took me extra long to read. This phenomenon baffled me for a solid week. I can normally read 2-3 books a week and here I was, a full week into Food: A Love Story, and only about halfway through. Eventually I decided it is because the book doesn't have a plot to keep me moving from one chapter to the next. Or maybe I was just savoring every delicious morsel...

The book reads like an extended stand-up set. Gaffigan explores his love of food and eating mostly unhealthy food. Portions of it made me laugh out loud, which I suppose is what you expect with a book like this. Even if this book is not destined for literary greatness, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment