Monday, December 22, 2014

Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast

I found this book on the NY Times list of "The 10 Best Books of 2014." So saying it was well-recommended is an understatement.


This is the first graphic novel I've ever read. It is a memoir written by an adult daughter, detailing the last few years of her parents' lives. This book is so true and so human. Reading about Chast's mom and dad brought memories flooding back of my Great-Grandma, who suffered from Alzheimer's when I was a kid. And reading about the author's reactions and thoughts about these experiences made me think about my own Grandma and my mother-in-law, both of whom found themselves caring for elderly parents. The book is as hilarious as it is sad. I found myself laughing out loud at points only to be struck by how not-funny the entire situation was.
"Meanwhile, my father lived with us. Any Florence Nightengale-type visions I ever had of myself - an unselfish, patient, sweet, caring child who happily tended to her parents in their old age - were destroyed within an hour or so."
Chast does an amazing job of bringing all these emotions to the forefront throughout her book. This truly is a work that is relevant and relatable for so many people. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment