Friday, November 7, 2014

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

This read was inspired by The Modern Mrs. Darcy, a blog that you should definitely check out if you haven't already. Anne gives excellent book recommendations, including this one! 

(Do you see the ice cream or the faces? Dumb question, I know, but I was reading this book for days before my husband pointed out the faces and it freaked me out. I really didn't see them...)

The Sea of Tranquility was a very surprising and compelling read for me. I began reading this book with very little background knowledge apart from skimming the blurb on the book jacket. This book is Young Adult Fiction and is the story of two teenagers, Nastya and Josh, and it is told from both of their perspectives in turn. It is a story about love, loss, and second chances. But it doesn't really seem that way at first. Sorry if that's a spoiler.

The book starts out with Nastya as the new girl at high school. Not only is she new, but she dresses terribly and doesn't talk -- at all. If she has to communicate, she does it through writing, but rarely does so. Instead she just tries to avoid interacting with people. Then you meet Josh, a boy who is not new and everyone knows his tragic backstory. Because nobody knows how to relate to him, he is usually alone. But soon, Josh and Nastya are drawn together.
“I know at that moment what he's given me and it isn't a chair. It's an invitation, a welcome, the knowledge that I am accepted here. He hasn't given me a place to sit. He's given me a place to belong.”
I think this story is really about how we construct our own identity or how we let other people construct it for us. And in the end, I think all that really matters to these two characters is how true they are to themselves as they deal with the heartache and tragedy of the past.

This was an interesting and enlightening read. There is a fair amount of language and some adult situations, but overall I would recommend this book.

Linked at:

  The Steadfast Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment