Sunday, November 23, 2014

Audiobook Review: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving



Just before Halloween, I finished off my last audiobook and wanted something festive to listen to while I worked. I quickly downloaded The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (read by Anthony Heald). This is a classic that I had never read before, so my familiarity with the story comes from the cartoon adaptation and the Tim Burton film.

Since I assume that most everyone is familiar with the plot of this one, I won't bother with a summary. What I will say is that, having only seen film adaptations and not read the book, I was surprised at how faithful the cartoon version is to the original. The Tim Burton version took quite a few liberties, though.

The interesting thing about this book is that there is not much, if any, dialogue, so there was little need for characterization in the audio version. I felt that Heald did an excellent job of narrating the story. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this, and as it is a short novel, the audio is less than 2 hours long.

This audiobook could be a great one to listen to with kids prior to Halloween -- especially if they're already familiar with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment